Monday 16 February 2015

Queen Mother Champion Chase

Had my second bet for the Cheltenham Festival today. Champagne Fever returned to winning ways in an effortless victory on Saturday in Gowran Park's Red Mills Chase (Grade 2). The popular grey now has two possible targets at the Festival - either the QMCC or the Ryanair.

Because of slight question marks concerning two leading contenders in the QMCC (Sprinter Sacre, Sire De Grugy) I thought Willie Mullins' charge would represent a decent EW bet for this prize given his excellent record at the Festival. Consequently I called Coral this morning for some 11/2 EW NRNB 1/4 odds 1,2,3. With these (rebate) terms if the Ryanair became the chosen target nothing would be lost. Imagine my surprise when Coral refused to lay me an EW bet - to ANY stake! I was offered a win only bet, which I politely declined. Much later in the day they have reduced their price to 5/1 (so perhaps someone got a bet on - but not necessarily EW of course).

Sometimes I don't know why I bother and I think it's high time I hang up my betting boots. I do like to have some interest in Cheltenham's championship races though...

The betfair market has only eight runners priced below 60.0 so surely (if he doesn't fall) he must have a huge chance of being in the frame. So it was over to Paddy Power for the following wager:

3pts ew Champagne Fever to win QMCC Cheltenham @ 5/1 Paddy Power NRNB (1/4 odds 1,2,3)

5/1 NRNB is also "available" with Coral internet and telephone service. Note that Lads and W Hill both offer 6/1 but crucially do not as yet offer the NRNB stipulation.

Six points staked.



No comments:

Post a Comment