Sunday 25 May 2014

A wolf between two Kings

Early start for me today, unusual on a Sunday. Well, most days actually. My first Hay session was scheduled for 10am. It's a 30-mile drive. Got there in plenty of time to listen to Anthony King talking about government blunders. Extraordinary to think he is still Professor of Government at Essex University. He was there, in the same role, when I was a student at Essex in the '60s. As eloquent as ever. He said he was very fond of Hay and described the atmosphere as one of good-fellowship. That struck me as an accurate observation.

Oh, and pretty much the biggest government blunder of the century is the poll tax.....





By 11am the place was heaving. I've never seen so many people here despite visiting for several years. I took a stroll down to Market Square to listen to the live music. Conveniently one of Ludlow's popular trios was playing: Grey Wolf. Well worth a listen if they are playing in a town near you:




After that it was back to the main site for some superb Spanish tapas and then a session by another King: Mervyn. Comparing the financial crisis of 2008 with that of 1914. Two more sessions completed my cerebral day. Jeremy Paxman on the Great War (understandably completely sold out) and to finish the Joan Bakewell lecture on why history matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment