Saturday 22 February 2014

The Green Cafe is back!

Spring must be nearly with us as the Green Cafe is back from its winter break. The popular riverside establishment closes from Christmas until mid-February. Today was my first visit of the year. I hope there will be many more.

I started with a pork, bean and vegetable broth served with sourdough bread. Full of flavour. To follow was the salt beef plate with pickles and salads. It's a very long time since I've tasted salt beef this good. The last time was probably nearly 20 years ago (pretentious alert!) at the famous Katz's delicatessen in New York, which ironically is situated just off Ludlow Street:



If you haven't been there you may have seen it featured in the film "When Harry Met Sally" or more recently in the Volkswagen cinema advert supporting independent cinema.

Here is a sample menu (from the Green Cafe not Katz!):

 http://www.thegreencafe.co.uk/menu.aspx

My two courses were accompanied by the excellent Hobson's Twisted Spire which clocks in at just 3.6% - an ideal lunch time tipple. And my bill? Tremendous value at £16.30.




The Green Cafe is situated in the shadow of Ludlow Castle next to Mr Underhill's.


 Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment