Friday 11 January 2013

Oscars

Of the four major awards, Lincoln is a short-price for three of them: Picture 1/3, Director 1/4 and Actor 1/10. Only the Best Actress category has a different market leader (Lincoln not having been nominated here) in Silver Linings Playbook - a 4/7 chance. 

I saw SLP this week and had no idea at the time that Jennifer Lawrence was in the frame for Best Actress. Or, indeed, that this film is the only one nominated in all four of the above categories. Although billed as a RomCom, it is a bit more than that and I found it thoroughly engaging. Not least because of the betting sub-plot!

                                                                               JL a worthy odds-on favourite?


What I am interested in though, from a betting viewpoint, is Best Picture. I have a feeling that Les Miserables could take the honour ahead of Lincoln. I have not seen Lincoln and I will not be seeing Les Mis until next week. I must admit to a bias here as I have seen the Mis stage show seven times (six times in London, once in New York), as well as the 25-year celebration at O2 of course. But this blog is about the bets I have had (including any declared bias) and, if you are bothering to read my drivel, all you need to do is decide whether to take any notice!



The only professional opinion for selecting Les Mis ahead of Lincoln comes from Mark Kermode, the well known critic, who favours the musical for the Picture award. Note that MK declares that he hasn't got a very good record in Oscar predictions! With bookmakers betting 1/3 Lincoln, 12/1 Les Mis it will be clear where my money has gone:

1.5 points win Les Miserables for Oscar (Best Picture) @ 12/1 Betfred

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment