Sunday 14 October 2012

The value of the BOG

Once again the value of the BOG (best odds guaranteed) concession was in evidence today.

Whereas my main selection in the 15:45G (Gouray Girl) was a warm order, going off at 8/1 having been 10/1, my second selection in the race (Sugar Beet) started at an amazing 50/1, having been an early price of 25/1 which I had shrewdly secured!

Gouray Girl was annoyingly beaten 1/2 length into fifth thus denying us an e.w. payout. Sugar Beet, however, was not far away from winning the race finishing runner-up at 50/1. Because the bets were placed at W Hill BOG, we are paid on Sugar Beet at 50/1 (1/4 odds) i.e. 12.5/1 place odds instead of the 6.25/1 place odds payable on the early price.

Two more companies have recently joined the BOG roll of honour. These are Stan James and Coral. Stan James are no longer any good to me. They used to lay me bets to win £100. I got into the habit of having, say, £10 @ 10/1 and then going elsewhere for the balance of my bet. Unfortunately this pattern of enormous staking proved too much for their fearless layers and they closed my account a couple of months go. It's a shame Pinnacle don't offer UK horse race odds as they are one of the few firms prepared to lay bets these days.

So remember to look for the BOG labels ( "B" on oddschecker) when searching out your early prices!

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment